KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (WATE) — A question on many people’s minds of late due to the recent spike in cases and other government leaders requiring masks amid the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic — will Knoxville soon have mask requirements?
Knoxville Mayor Indya Kincannon addressed that question Thursday, saying she’s “considering all options.”
“This is a big concern and I’m considering all options to keep the people of Knoxville safe and healthy and I’ve been very upfront about the importance of wearing masks,” Kincannon said. “I think everyone should be wearing a mask inside public spaces and in places where physical distancing is not possible.”
Currently, the mayor is not requiring everyone to wear masks, but only saying all options are on the table.
To date, the Knox County Health Department says there have been 773 COVID-19 cases in the county, including 172 active cases reported Thursday.
Knox County will soon fall into the state’s Tennessee Pledge guidance for reopening and functioning with the ongoing pandemic.
Generally, the state department of health recommends the wearing of masks as a personal choice for individuals; however, on TDH’s information pages regarding COVID-19 and public health, links for guidance refer to the Centers of Disease Control and Prevention — which recommends wearing cloth masks while out in public or at large event gatherings. Other links, depending on the situation, recommend wearing masks in the workplace for a period of time after being exposed to COVID-19.
- Coronavirus Timeline: Total COVID-19 cases near 175K, deaths now stand at 2,097 in the state
- CHART: Tennessee Department of Health’s count of coronavirus cases by day in state
- Greene County mayor extends mask mandate through September 30
- Video and pictures of packed house party near KU campus spark concern as virus cases rise
- Tennessee Coronavirus: Two weeks into September, state has seen a 12.48% increase in COVID-19 cases and a 19.56% increase in deaths
- Coronavirus in Tennessee: Knox County reports smallest 1-day increase in new cases so far in September
- Oxford and AstraZeneca resume coronavirus vaccine trial
- Tennessee Coronavirus: Total COVID-19 cases reach 171,824 with 933 new cases reported Sunday
- Coronavirus in Tennessee: Inactive cases rise by 204 as Knox County reports 121 new cases & no new deaths
- As Trump played down virus, health experts’ alarm grew
- Dakotas lead US in virus growth as both reject mask rules
- Tennessee Coronavirus: COVID-19 deaths hit 2,064 with 39 new ones reported Saturday
- Coronavirus in Tennessee: Inactive cases rise by 229 as Knox County reports 189 new cases & 3 new deaths
- As restaurants, bars re-open amid coronavirus, CDC study urges caution
- Ohio college students test positive for coronavirus, throw party