Donations needed after fire displaces woman, 9 children

Local News

A woman and her nine children are without a home after a fire on Ault Street broke out Monday night.

When firefighters arrived, they found the family had made it out of the home, which was heavily damaged. Investigators say the fire started in a clogged dryer vent. A spokesperson for the Knoxville Fire Department suggested cleaning out your dryer vent at least once a year.

The children range in age from 4 to 16 years old. None of the occupants on Ault Street were hurt, but the Red Cross will assist them.

“I’m very thankful very thankful because it could have been worse,” said Lateshia Hall, mother.

The family said they just purchased their home in February. Most of the damage was in the kitchen and bathrooms.

“Emotionally, it’s a big ordeal because we basically lost everything,” said Hall.

The family is also in need of clothing donations, including:

  • Men’s pants (33×32)
  • Boys’ clothes size 5T, 8, 12 and 14
  • Girls’ clothes size Juniors 8 and size 10 and 12.

Donations can be dropped off from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday at 1016 Texas Avenue in Knoxville.

Nationally nearly 3,000 dryer fires are reported each year and cause an estimated 5 deaths, 100 injuries, and $35 million in property damage. Failure to clean these vents is the leading cause of dryer fires.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories

WATE 6 On Your Side Twitter