KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (WATE) — The Knoxville Police Department has identified the victim killed in an East Knoxville shooting Monday evening.
At around 6:09 p.m. on Monday, Sept. 20, Knoxville Police officers responded to a shooting in the 1700 block of Hazen Street. On the scene, officers found an unresponsive man who had been shot at least once according to the department.
The victim has been identified as 19-year-old Cholly Harris, of Knoxville.
The preliminary investigation shows that Harris and the male suspect had been involved in a dispute and, shortly after, gunfire was exchanged. Harris was struck at least one time and later died at the UT Medical Center.
Police said that several individuals, including witnesses, were detained for questioning. No charges have been filed at this time.
KPD’s Violent Crimes Unit is investigating the shooting. Upon the completion of the investigation, the file will be turned over to the Knox County District Attorney’s Office to make a determination regarding prosecution.
- White House Christmas tree chosen from North Carolina farm for third time
- Colorado teen wins chess championship just months after brain surgery
- Ohio fixes new license plate after first attempt doesn’t fly
- North Carolina DOT trolls Ohio over license plate mix-up, sets off Twitter debate
- What is a ‘bomb cyclone’? Storm approaches West Coast, bringing rain, wind, possible flooding
This is a developing story. Download the WATE 6 News app for updates sent to your phone