KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (WATE) — The Knoxville Police Department has identified the victim killed in an East Knoxville shooting Monday evening.
At around 6:09 p.m. on Monday, Sept. 20, Knoxville Police officers responded to a shooting in the 1700 block of Hazen Street. On the scene, officers found an unresponsive man who had been shot at least once according to the department.
The victim has been identified as 19-year-old Cholly Harris, of Knoxville.
The preliminary investigation shows that Harris and the male suspect had been involved in a dispute and, shortly after, gunfire was exchanged. Harris was struck at least one time and later died at the UT Medical Center.
Police said that several individuals, including witnesses, were detained for questioning. No charges have been filed at this time.
KPD’s Violent Crimes Unit is investigating the shooting. Upon the completion of the investigation, the file will be turned over to the Knox County District Attorney’s Office to make a determination regarding prosecution.
- Supreme Court to confront post-Roe abortion battles
- Sununu set to play key role in GOP’s New Hampshire primary
- A $16 McDonald’s meal is going viral again. Here’s why
- US Osprey aircraft with 6 aboard crashes off coast of Japan, at least 1 dead
- House approves resolutions calling on Hamas to release hostages, reaffirming Israel’s right to exist