Fire crews responded to a South Knoxville house fire last night after a woman left her kitchen unattended.
The evening units from the Knoxville fire department responded to 3600 Decatur Dr. in South Knoxville for report of a house fire. When firefighters arrived, they found a basement rancher with flames coming out the kitchen window on the upper floor, and extending into the eaves and attic area. Fire crews had the flames under control within the first 20 minutes.
The resident, who was not at home when the fire broke out, returned to explain to fire investigators that she had accidentally left a pot of oil heating on the stove while she ran to the store.
No injuries are reported and the mother and two children will seek shelter from the American Red Cross.