Two locals restaurants failed their health inspection grades this week with a third eatery narrowly passed its inspection.
One of the restaurants with a failing grade received the lowest health inspection score of the year so far.
The grade is a 62 at Golden Wok, located at 9253 Kingston Pike. A score below 70 is considered “unsanitary” by the health department.
The inspector writes he observed a cook eating while preparing food. Also, the cook did not wash his hands after eating that food, which is required under regulations.
Food temperatures were off. 135 degrees or more is the correct hot temperature to kill bacteria in food. Cooked rice was at 90 degrees, while cooked chicken was observed at 75 degrees.
Golden Wok’s manager was not aware of employee illness symptoms, as he should have been.
The restaurant has since been reinspected. The original grade of 62 is now a 94.
Next, lowest grade is a 69 at S&S Cafeteria, located at 4808 Kingston Pike. Here are some of the critical violations.
The inspector writes the dishwasher handled dirty dishes then began to unload clean dishes without washing his hands first. The inspector also watched the cook touch his face without washing his hands before handling food and kitchen workers were observed handling ready to eat food without wearing gloves.
The water in the dishwasher was below the correct temperature of 120-150 degrees. Also, some ready to eat food had no date marks on them.
S & S Cafeteria will be reinspected soon.
Next, lowest grade is a 70 at Bruno’s Pizzeria, located at 6907 Kingston Pike.
No soap was found at several kitchen hand sinks. Kitchen workers went from one task to another handling food without first washing their hands. An employee was observed touching a pizza with his bare hands,
Finally, fruit flies were seen flying around in the kitchen.
Bruno’s Pizzeria will be checked again soon.
At the top scoring restaurants this week, no reinspections will be needed. Here are this week’s best grades:
- The Casual Pint, 10673 Hardin Valley Rd, 100
- The Dog House, 7409 Middlebrook Pk, 100
- Salsarita’s Fresh Cantina, 7614 Chapman Hwy, 100
- Taco Bell, 4413 Western Avenue, 100
- McDonald’s, 5260 Millertown Pk, 100
- Captain D’s, 6722 Maynardville Hwy, 100
- Domino’s Pizza, 6661 Maynardville Hwy, 100
- Barley’s Taproom & Pizzeria, 200 E. Jackson Ave, 100
- Buddy’s Bar B-Q, 3700 Magnolia Ave, 99
- Cool Beans, 1817 Lake Ave, 99
- Abuelo’s Mexican Food Embassy, 11299 Parkside Dr, 99
- Connor’s Steak & Seafood, 10915 Turkey Creek Dr, 98