KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (WATE) – Interstate 40 is open in both directions in downtown Knoxville after an overturned tanker truck carrying hazardous materials has been cleaned up.
The wreck was reported shortly before 5 a.m.
Crews have been working for hours to upright and offload the tanker truck, which was transporting hazardous materials.
The tanker truck, which ended up leaning against the median, was transporting acrylic acid, which did not leak out, said Captain DJ Corcoran of Knoxville Fire Department.
Interstate 40 East is closed at Interstate 640 on the west side of the accident, Nagi said.
There were reported injuries in the wreck, but there has been no update on how many or the condition of those hurt.
The wreck involved the tanker and another vehicle, according to Corcoran.
This is a developing story that we will be updating.
- Biden, Harris meet with Congressional Black Caucus about police reform
- What’s the ‘best state’? Poll ranks U.S. states from best to worst
- 15-year-old arrested following threat at Harlan Co. High School in Kentucky
- Online learning capacity likely to shrink next year for Knox Co. Schools
- Drainage problem floods property in Bean Station