KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (WATE) — The Knox County Sheriff’s Office said Tuesday it was investigating the old Currier School building fire that left only two chimneys standing last month as a potential arson.
Several units with Rural Metro Fire responded to the two-alarm fire in the 1400 block of Currier Lane on Monday, May 11, that drivers along Northshore Drive reported seeing from the roadway. The fire also caused a power outage for some KUB customers in West Knoxville.
Neighbors told WATE 6 On Your Side at the time of the incident they had often chased away trespassers from the abandoned school building.
KCSO’s Fire Investigation Unit responded to the scene of the fire.
No further details about KCSO’s potential arson investigation were yet available.
This is a developing story. Check back for updates.
- GOP Senator Lisa Murkowski says she’ll oppose Supreme Court nomination before Election
- Titans tame Jaguars 33-30, improve to 2-0 for first time since 2008
- No WiFi at home? One Virginia school district has a creative solution for students
- Science kits allow kids to experiment from home
- A Utah school was already online-only. Here’s what lessons it has for others