A residential structure fire has affected nine apartments at 1900 Washington Avenue, according to Knoxville Fire Department..
Nine total units were damaged by smoke and water; fire officials say the fire started from the bottom unit and burned its way up through the others around 8:35 p.m.
Two people were inside when the fire was started, according to KFD Capt. D.J. Corcoran, when they noticed a fire coming from the bedroom and called 911.
“Two residents that were inside the apartment of origin stated that a mattress in a bedroom caught fire. The tenant tried to remove it from the apartment but quickly changed his mind,” Capt. Corcoran said.
No injuries were reported.
The unit in which the fire started is a total loss, Capt. Corcoran told WATE 6 On Your Side.
The 10 residents in all 9 apartment units are displaced because of the incident.
Red Cross is en route to assist residents with their temporary housing options.
The fire investigation is ongoing.