KFD: House fire in Powell contained to laundry room, family displaced

Local News

Update: KFD is reporting that at 8:25 Friday night, firefighters responded to a residential fire at 417 Oak Crest. 

When firefighters arrived all occupants were outside and unharmed, although heavy black smoke was coming from the front door. Fire crews then moved into the residence and reached the source of the fire which was in the laundry room. 

One of the residents said they put clothes in the dryer and walked upstairs, only to return to smoke-filled downstairs. 

Fire investigators say the fire was started near or around an electrical outlet behind the clothes dryer. 

Knoxville Fire Department responded to a house fire in North Knoxville/Powell community Friday night, containing the blaze to the laundry room.

According to KFD fire captain, although firefighters were able to contain the fire to the laundry room of the home, the family is still displaced.

The fire chaplain was on the way to the scene to discuss options for the family and to see if they needed assistance in finding a place to stay.

It was unclear how many people lived in the home. No injuries were reported. Five engines responded to the fire, as WATE 6 On Your Side’s on-scene crew observed. 

The fire investigation is ongoing. 

This is a developing story. WATE 6 On Your Side is working to learn more and will update when more details are made available. 

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories

Tennessee at the Olympics

More Tennessee Olympians

Latest News Videos

Horse fever in Tennessee

Missing couple out of Knox County found safe

Two arrested for hit and run crash

School Supplies Drives

Peyton Manning coming to Knoxville for Greater Knoxville Sports Hall of Fame induction ceremony

Mayor Jacobs: No new COVID restrictions