KINGSPORT, Tenn. (WJHL) – Kingsport Police said a man is in custody following an early morning shooting.
According to police, they responded to the reported shooting on Westfield Drive around 6:30 a.m. where they found a 14-year-old with a gunshot wound.
The 14-year-old was taken to the hospital for treatment.
Police said the suspect was identified as Lazarith E. Freeman, 20, of Kodak, Tennessee.
Kingsport Police reported, “With the assistance of the Sevier County Sheriff’s Office, the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation, the United States Marshals Service, and other law enforcement agencies, Mr. Freeman is now in custody.”
Authorities said Freeman is now facing charges of Felony Reckless Endangerment and Tampering with Evidence.
Police said neither the suspect or victim are residents of Kingsport, “however, both were believed to be acquainted prior to the shooting.”
No further information was immediately available as police said this is an active and ongoing investigation.
- Cleanup efforts underway after violent Nashville protest
- PHOTOS: Damage to Metro Courthouse after ‘I Will Breathe’ riots
- Tennessee This Week: A conversation with Sen. Becky Duncan Massey
- Tennessee ends May with 23,006 coronavirus cases
- Sheriff takes off helmet, joins protesters in Flint