KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (WATE) — One of the members of the East Tennessee family accused in a heinous child abuse case appeared Friday in a Knox County courtroom.
Michael Gray Sr. was arraigned and appointed an attorney. Gray and his wife Shirley Gray, and their son Michael Gray Jr., were indicted by a grand jury on charges including felony murder and aggravated child abuse related to the death of the couple’s adopted 8-year-old son.
Michael Gray Jr. was arraigned on Thursday. He faces 17 charges in the death of the 8-year-old. The elder Gray and his wife Shirley face 20 charges in Knox County and are charged with 42 counts each in Roane County.
The three are set to appear in a Knox County courtroom near the end of the month before returning to Roane County in December.
Shirley Gray did not appear in court for her scheduled arraignment this week due to COVID-19 exposure. Shirley Gray is one of six Knox County inmates that has currently been diagnosed with the virus.
- Walmart announces 2021 Black Friday shopping events: Take a look at what’s on sale
- VFL Darrell Taylor carted off the field in Seahawks, Steelers game
- 6 Storm Team Starwatch: Orionid Meteor Shower Peaks This Week Plus The October Full Moon
- Daylight saving time ends soon – here’s when we ‘fall back’
- These types of toys will be hardest to find this holiday season