NASHVILLE, Tenn. (WATE) – Forces in the 278th Armored Cavalry Regiment, based in Knoxville, are being deployed to Washington, Major General Jeff Holmes announced Tuesday.
Holmes is also commissioner of the Tennessee Department of Military and made the announcement during Gov. Bill Lee’s press conference at popular Nashville restaurant Arnold’s Country Kitchen.
Holmes said the state received a request to send forces Monday afternoon.
The 278th is the only armored calvary regiment in the Army National Guard.
President Donald Trump on Monday called on states “dominate the streets” in the wake of protests and riots over the weekend and called for the use of military forces. Washington has been one of the cities where large protests have been held and where the demonstrations have at times turned violent.
Holmes said he could not discuss details of the mission for the 278th.
- Tennessee Coronavirus: State has had 186,709 COVID-19 cases and 2,275 deaths
- Second stimulus checks: How SCOTUS battle could derail $1,200 direct payments
- Kentucky grand jury indicts one of three officers in Breonna Taylor killing
- Pregnant woman pulls husband to safety after shark attack in Florida Keys
- Pair arrested after missing person found dismembered in lake at California golf course