KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (WATE)- Around 100 coal miners are now concerned if they’ll still have a job after the holidays. This comes after a Knoxville coal company decided to idle its mines.
Previously WATE 6 On Your Side reported miners from Kentucky and Virginia protested after the company they worked for BlackJewel, went bankrupt and the checks given to employees bounced.
Many of those workers were eventually hired by Kopper Glo in Knoxville.
A Kentucky State representative says the company has idled its mines until after Christmas. The company allegedly told around 100 non-salaried employees they may be rehired after the holidays.
This is contingent on the company finding a buyer for its local coal reserves. WATE 6 On Your Side reached out to the company for comment with no answer. We will keep you updated as more information comes in.
- TDOT closing Route 70 in Hawkins County to remove rock outcropping
- Knoxville cyclist lends hand to USA Cycling as course marshal
- Best counties to retire to in Tennessee
- TN AMBER Alert: Everything ‘still on the table’ in search for Summer Wells
- President Biden encourages vaccinations as US looks to miss July 4 target