KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (WATE) — The restoration of the famous Dolly Parton Mural near downtown Knoxville has been finished following a recent act of vandalism.
Dogwood Arts took on the project after the Knoxville landmark was defaced last week.
Local artist Megan Lingerfelt was responsible for the restoration, which she says was an honor.
The Dolly Parton mural located in Strong Alley was completed in 2019 by Colton Valentine, a street artist/muralist based in San Antonio, Texas. After alerting Valentine of the vandalism and consulting him on the next steps, Dogwood Arts asked Lingerfelt to restore and enhance the popular piece.
The restoration includes some new design elements like new lips, earrings and even a butterfly. A layer of anti-graffiti coating will be added to the mural as well.
Several other murals were touched up on Wednesday as well.
- Alcoa finishes regular season 9-1 with victory over Dobyns Bennett
- Football comes full circle: Mays brothers reunite on the Tennessee offensive line
- Haunted Tri-Cities: Newport building linked to tragedy, haunting and a conspiracy
- Pres. Trump, Biden appeal to last-minute voters in dueling Florida rallies
- Florida woman in labor refuses hospital until husband drives her to polling place first