Lightning sparks fire in Oak Ridge home, no injuries

Local News

Crews work to extinguish a house fire after a electricity from a nearby lightning strike arced from a bedroom’s electrical outlets. Source: Oak Ridge Fire Department

A bedroom was heavily damaged in Oak Ridge Tuesday when a bolt of lightning struck a nearby tree and caused electricity to arc from the room’s outlets.

The Oak Ridge Fire Department responded to a report of a tree struck by lightning in the 100 block of Baltimore Drive at 4:15 p.m. Tuesday.

The energy from the lightning strike ran into a nearby home, causing the electrical outlets in a bedroom to arc. The electrical arcing set a bed on fire which heavily damaged the bedroom and its contents.

There were no injuries.

A release from the City of Oak Ridge credited the homeowner with preventing the spread of flames when they shut the door to the bedroom before leaving the home.

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories

WATE 6 On Your Side Twitter