Sevier Co., Tenn. (WATE) - Heavy traffic Saturday morning that closed one lane on I-40 East in Sevier County was caused by a wreck.
According to Sevierville Police, the wreck occurred at mile marker 406.6 near Winfield Dunn Parkway on Saturday morning around 8:30 a.m. One lane was closed for a couple of hours.
The wreck happened after police were asked to help stop a stolen tow truck reported by Tennessee Highway Patrol and Jefferson County. Police say Grayson Woodside of North Carolina stabbed,David Brooks, a tow truck driver in Jefferson City, took the truck, and fled.
Brooks says he had offered Woodside a ride to a truck stop when he was attacked.
"We come up to a stop sign and I turned my to the left to look and when I comeback around he come across the seat and cut my throat."
Brooks says he was afraid for his life.
"I didn't know whether to turn right or get out," said Brooks. "So, I just put it in park and got out and stopped the next car real fast because I didn't know what he was going to do."
The stolen truck was driving down the interstate when Woodside swerved through the median into the eastbound lane and crashed into an oncoming car.
After Woodside crashed the truck, police say he got out and apparently attempted to cut his own throat. He was taken to the hospital.
Woodside was taken to the hospital and faces charges of felony evading, driving with a suspended license, reckless driving and a DUI. He also faces assault and theft charges.
The victim in the car that Woodside hit was taken to UT Medical Center with non-life threatening injures.
Brooks says the incident has left him nervous about towing cars.
"I won't never let no one else I don't know ride in my truck again," said Brooks.
Washington, DC Metro employee charged...
Vol fans revisit historic win against...
- Copyright 2018 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- Vol fans revisit historic win against Florida in undefeated season
- Knoxville man to be part of documentary as he battles cancer
- Group protests outside Pence event in Knoxville
- Pence, Blackburn attend Knoxville conservative conference
- Harriman man arrested for allegedly defrauding elderly
- Sevierville police warn of mystery shopper scam
- Detroit heroin dealer sentenced to additional 31 years after Bearden murder
- AP sources: Rosenstein spoke of possible secret Trump taping
- Northern California authorities arrest alleged serial rapist
- Cruz, O'Rourke trade attacks during testy 1st Texas debate
- GOP to Kavanaugh accuser: Reach deal or panel votes Monday
- AP NewsBreak: DHS Secretary says FEMA head won't lose job
- New evacuations ordered because of Florence flooding
- The Latest: Trump says Kavanaugh born to be on Supreme Court