MARYVILLE, Tenn. (WATE) — On Tuesday night, Maryville’s first female city council member was sworn in.
“That really is a true honor. It means I get a chance to serve the community in a really unique and great way.”Sarah Herron – Maryville City Council
Herron said she wore a yellow rose and white suit during her swearing-in to honor the suffragettes who campaigned for the right to vote 100 years ago.
She said that as a city councilwoman she will make sure to bring diverse voices at every opportunity. Her first priority will be making high-speed internet more accessible and affordable.
- Protests demanding Ted Cruz’s resignation to be held at senator’s Houston office on Saturday
- $1,400 stimulus checks: Here’s where we stand halfway through January
- If you received unemployment benefits you could owe taxes
- Knoxville Black Business Directory puts minority-owned local businesses in spotlight
- Photo gallery: President Trump’s presidency