North Knoxville house fire may have been caused by children playing with fireworks

Local News

A residential fire possibly caused by children at home was worked by Knoxville Fire Department Tuesday evening. 

The fire occurred around 8:27 p.m. in the 200 block of E. Morelia Avenue, near the intersection of McMillan Street in North Knoxville. 

When firefighters arrived, they found two teenagers and one child standing outside the home, from which smoke and flames could be seen. 

According to KFD Capt. D.J. Corcoran, three children were at home when the fire started, the oldest child being 17 years old. Fire officials have determined the children may have accidentally caused the fire with shooting fireworks. 

Crews were quick to extinguish the flames. 

There were no injuries.

The Fire Chaplain is talking with the family to see about assistance and the Red Cross is assisting the family with temporary placement since the home is not liveable.  

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

WATE 6 On Your Side Twitter