GATLINBURG, Tenn. (WATE) — Special Olympics athletes from around the state are preparing for the Special Olympics Winter Games to be hosted at Ober Gatlinburg.
The games are returning to East Tennessee to celebrate its 35th anniversary.
The Tennessee Special Olympics Winter Games start Monday night and run through Tuesday. The opening ceremonies happened Sunday night at the Gatlinburg Convention Center.
More than 150 athletes will compete in alpine skiing, snowboarding and speed skating.
New to the games this year – Rocky Top Sports World will host additional athletes to compete in basketball.
- Lady Vols Swimming are SEC Champions for first time in program history
- Knoxville wedding venue thriving one year after major flooding
- Sanders wins Nevada caucuses, takes national Democratic lead
- Two men confirmed dead after a single engine Cessna crashes at Dillingham Airfield
- Anniston FEMA Center to be used as part of Coronavirus quarantine