Three local restaurants had low scores from the health inspector and common follies were mold and insect-related.
Gnats, dirty table cloths and other issues caused this popular Gay Street pizza place to score in the 70s during a routine health inspection a few weeks ago. The violations noted could potentially cause food-borne illness.
Dazzo’s Pizzeria, 710 Gay St. – Grade: 79
That’s a passing score, since below a score of 70 is considered failing. At Dazzo’s, the health inspector found gnats in two main areas – around the dishwasher and crawling in the pan that stored clean utensils. Clean utensils were found stored in a dirty container. Insecticide was found stored at a food prep sink in the downstairs prep area. Not good.
Also, in Dazzo’s ice machine, the health inspector found black mold and dirt in the overhead panel. A cloth used to wipe tables was not being stored in the required bucket of sanitizer as well.
Another popular restaurant had the next-lowest score and also involved bugs.
Texas Roadhouse, 120 Morrell Rd. – Grade: 80
This Texas Roadhouse location is the one near West Town Mall and the manager was ordered by the health inspector to call its pest control company. The inspector found fruit flies in the kitchen area.
The inspector also observed a grill employee on their cell phone, flipping meat, who also put gloves on without washing their hands first. They also saw other employees failing to wash their hands first before handling customers’ food.
Raw chicken was also being stored directly over the salad mix storage and prep cooler. This is a production/cross contamination issue that could lead to foodborne illness outbreak, the inspector noted in the paperwork. The inspector also saw food build-up in drinking glasses for customers and shelving issues in storage areas.
Upon re-inspection, this Texas Roadhouse scored a 94.
Another 80 score belonged to a sports pub in West Knoxville.
Blue Chips Sports Pub & Grill, 7815 Montvue Center Way – Grade: 80
Mold was the main issue at Blue Chips, where it was found contaminating the ice machine after mold had fallen from the top of the machine. Mold was found all over the walls of the ice machine.
Food temperatures were above 41 degrees Fahrenheit, which is a violation in that cold food cannot be stored above that mark or it could result in bacteria growth.
Upon re-inspection, Blue Chips scored a 95.
Best scores of the week:
- Schultz Brau Brewery, 126 Bernard Ave. – Grade: 100
- Kayannie’s, 4101 Bruhin Rd. – Grade: 100
- Sam & Andy’s, 2613 W. Adair – Grade: 100
- The Casual Pint, 143 Brooklawn St. – Grade: 100
- Frussie’s Deli, 722 Gay St. – Grade: 99
- Pizza Hut, 7017 Kingston Pike – Grade: 99
- Cazzy’s Corner Grill, 2099 Thunderhead Rd. – Grade; 98
- Buddy’s Bar-B-Q, 121 W. End Ave. – Grade: 98