Powell High School briefly evacuated after trashcan fire

Local News
IMG_6371_1512414129922.JPG

Powell High School was briefly evacuated Monday after a small fire started in a boys’ restroom trashcan, according to Knox County Schools officials.

Rural/Metro spokesman Jeff Bagwell says a school resource officer put the fire out with a fire extinguisher before crews arrived.

There waws also a medical call at the school at the same time.

Knox County Schools’ Abbey Harris said no students were injured. 

The lobby of the school, where the restroom is located, is closed due to the smoke from the fire. 

Students were let back into the school and the afternoon schedule was adjusted. 

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories

WATE 6 Storm Weather School

WATE 6 On Your Side Twitter