KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (WATE) – The Knoxville Police Department will temporarily not be responding to traffic crashes unless there is an injury or disabled vehicles are blocking the roadway because of technical issues from the City of Knoxville ransomware attack.
City of Knoxville employees were notified via email Thursday morning that the city’s network was attacked by ransomware overnight. A city official said attackers demanded bitcoin.
Those needing a report a non-injury crash should do so through their insurance provider, a Police Department spokesman said.
The City of Knoxville website is functional but some online services remain unavailable Friday morning.
- Pumpkin carving fun with the Living East Tennessee team
- Newsfeed Now: President Trump heads to Arizona, Biden works virtually from Delaware
- Is your vehicle cold-weather ready? Ted Russell Ford has 6 Things You Need to Know
- Ohio woman creates Baby Yoda from 451-pound pumpkin
- Anxiety 2020: Voters worry about safety at the polls