KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (WATE) — The MAYDAY fundraiser by Second Harvest Food Bank of East Tennessee raised thousands for East Tennessee students.
Food for Kids is a collaboration between Second Harvest and public schools to identify children at risk of hunger. This program discretely provides healthy, easily-prepared food to children (and siblings at home) weekly, who otherwise would not have access to food over the weekend. Reports of improved self-esteem, behavior and concentration among Food for Kids participants are common, the agency said.
Food For Kids Facts:
- 12,600+ children are fed over the weekend by this program during the school year
- 280 East Tennessee schools participate in the program
- $100 sponsors a child for the ENTIRE school year
- 70,240 children in East Tennessee are at risk of hunger
- 1.1 Million meals were provided to the Food for Kids program in the last year
“Youth programs feed thousands of the most vulnerable people Second Harvest serves—children and their families. Each year MAYDAY helps our efforts for children to receive the nutritious food they need, and we cannot do it without you,” said Elaine Streno, Executive Director.
General Second Harvest Food Bank Facts:
- 1 in 5 East Tennesseans is at risk of hunger — 1 in 4 is a child
- Second Harvest serves 18 counties in East Tennessee
- More than 239,000 East Tennesseans are at risk of hunger
- Due to the pandemic, more East Tennesseans are unsure of where their next meal will come from
- $1 provides 3 meals to the food bank
Donations will be taken by phone at (865) 243-8227 and online at secondharvestetn.org