UT chancellor’s office announces changes after blackface controversy

Local News
blurred blackface screenshot_1551399767997.png.jpg

University of Tennessee Interim Chancellor Wayne Davis announced Wednesday several actions the university is taking after last week’s blackface controversy on campus.

The photo was shared on Snapchat showing what appears to be four students, two of them in blackface. The picture had the caption, “We for racial equality boys. Bout to get this free college now that I’m black lets gooooo #blacklivesmatter.”

   Related | UTK, NAACP condemn social media post depicting blackface

Students protested at Tuesday night’s UT basketball game, unhappy with the university’s response and calling for the students to be expelled. Davis says one of the students involved is no longer enrolled at the university.

In his email to students and staff, Davis says the university will require cultural competency, inclusion and bias training for all faculty, staff and administrators, beginning immediately with executive administration.

Davis says they also plan to expand student cultural competency training, beginning with orientation this summer and through next fall’s Welcome Week. Global citizenship classes will now be part of general education requirements.

The university will also form a committee of students, faculty and staff to review the Student Code of Conduct in the context of peer university policies and applicable laws to recommend changes or clarifications.

Davis says a website is being set up at http://belong.utk.edu “to house these and other action items and status updates, as well as to curate resources, information, events, and programming related to supporting our students and our campus community.”

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

WATE 6 On Your Side Twitter