KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (WATE) — A man is facing attempted kidnapping and vandalism charges after allegedly trying to take a 2-week-old child from its mother.
Knoxville Police received a call before 3:30 p.m. Thursday of an attempted kidnapping outside Fort Sanders Regional Medical Center on Laurel Avenue near 20th Street. Multiple callers advised that a white male subject was physically attempting to take an infant in a baby carrier from a female.
Citizens who saw the attack and Fort Sanders Hospital Security intervened before KPD officers arrived. The suspect, Michael Manford, 42, fled the scene upon officer’s arrival but was apprehended with the assistance of the University of Tennessee Police Department.
Manford was uncooperative with officers and damaged a KPD cruiser after being placed into custody, police said. He has been charged with attempted kidnapping and vandalism.
Neither the child nor the mother were injured during the incident.
- Local lawmakers speak ahead of Tuesday’s special session on the 2021-2022 school year
- Amid fears of ‘insider’ attack, FBI vetting Guard troops in DC
- Powerball jackpot grows to $730M; Mega Millions to be $850M
- Richard Branson’s Virgin Orbit reaches space on 2nd try
- Dancing trucker turns up at inauguration protest to promote peace