NEWPORT, Tenn. (WATE) — One man in custody after an incident in Cocke County ended with one man fatally stabbed.
Wesley Lee Williams, 48, has been arrested and charged with second degree murder for the death of another man, whom he’s accused of stabbing at a Newport residence.
The Cocke County Sheriff’s Office said Wednesday its officers were dispatched to the Newport Medical Center around 2 p.m. after dispatch received a call regarding a man who had been stabbed. The caller advised they were taking the victim to the hospital in a private vehicle.
CCSO deputies met the victim and complaintant at the hospital.
The initial investigation revealed that the incident occurred at 441 Johnson Street in Newport, where around 1 p.m. Wednesday, the victim went to the resident and shortly after arriving there was an altercation between the victim and the suspect. The victim was stabbed.
The victim, a 41-year-old Newport man identified as Joseph Ray Jacobs, was pronounced dead at the hospital around 2:45 p.m.
Deputies went to the residence on Johnson Street and found the suspect, Williams, who they determined was in possession of suspected methamphetamine. He was arrested and charged.
- ‘I feel fantastic’: Arnold Schwarzenegger undergoes heart surgery at Cleveland Clinic
- Illinois health director fights back tears during COVID death totals, urges people to battle ‘pandemic fatigue’
- Coronavirus in Tennessee: Knox County reports 191 new COVID-19 cases & no new deaths
- Live: Pres. Trump, Biden to hold campaign events in battleground states
- Biden campaign launches ‘TrumpCovidPlan.com’ — a site that reads ‘Not Found’