Man who sued Knoxville police for brutality convicted of fighting with officers

News

KNOXVILLE (WATE) – A Knoxville man was convicted Wednesday of fighting with officers who were trying to arrest him. The same man filed a lawsuit against the Knoxville Police Department last year alleging they assaulted and beat him even though he was unarmed and complied with their commands.

Ernesto Delgadilo Rodriguez, 32, was convicted of resisting arrest and assault. Sentencing is scheduled for April 28.Previous story: Knoxville police lawsuit claims officer beat unarmed man until he lost consciousness

During a two day trial, prosecutors said on July 9, 2014, Knoxville police responded to a call on Roaming Avenue that Rodriguez had returned home, high on cocaine and arguing with his girlfriend and other residents. The caller said Rodriguez grabbed a knife and continued threatening his girlfriend, at one point locking several children out of the house. He eventually went outside and slashed the tires of his girlfriend’s minivan.

Officers found Rodriquez on Roaming Avenue, knowing he was likely high, violent and armed. Prosecutors say when they tried to arrest Rodriguez, he tried to elbow the officer. He then continued resisting arrest until three officers were able to subdue him.Previous story:Man suing Knoxville police for brutality facing belated charges

Rodriguez was belatedly charged in September 2015. Dash cam video showed Rodriguez being beaten by police officers in July 2014. Rodriguez says he was beaten until he was unconscious, but the police department says his injuries came from falling on the pavement.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories

WATE 6 Storm Weather School

WATE 6 On Your Side Twitter