KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (WATE) – Metro Drug Coalition honored those in our community working to help end addiction with its annual Community Champion Awards.
Six individuals were honored for their work to “create a healthy and safe community – free of substance misuse.”
The winner of this year’s Media Advocacy Award, Steve Wildsmith, who now works for Conerstone of Recovery, helps people get back on their feet.
But years ago, faced with his own addiction, Wildsmith shared his story in a very public way in hopes of helping others.
There is still much work to be done in fighting drug misuse in our community.
Just last year, 325 people in Knox County died from suspected drug overdoses, according to the District Attorney General’s office’s fatal overdose report released on Tuesday.
- High demand, lack of time, supplies cause delay in COVID-19 tests
- West Virginia coronavirus outbreak linked to party with 70-100 young people, officials say
- Dream job: Company offering $1,000 to play Animal Crossing
- 5 injured after deck collapses in Virginia Beach
- TN Capitol’s Confederate bust decision shows strong, passionate divides remain