KNOXVILLE (WATE) – The wage gap between men and women in the workforce continues to rage on.
The hot topic even took center stage at this year’s Academy Awards with Patricia Arquette commenting on the issue.
WATE 6 On Your Side invited Andrea Dake, Vice President of Recruiting for the MomForce Network to discuss ways women can change that.
1. The Wage Gap exists. No need to deny it. Women are paid approximately 80% of what their male counterparts are paid.
2. It exists at every age (though it increases later in life) and at every occupation.
3. While employers need to take responsibility, women can help be the catalyst for change.
4. Don’t accept their first offer. Ask for 24-48 hours to consider it. Use the time to cultivate talking points for yourself on how to ask for more.
5. Then counter-offer by saying, “I’m excited to join the organization and based on what I feel like I can offer to the team, I’d like to counter at X dollars.”
6. Be silent. No need to explain or justify, let them respond.
7. Support other women. When given the opportunity to be a hiring manager, be equitable!
For more information about MomForce Network, click here.