(NEXSTAR) – This gives us an idea for the most expensive bar crawl of all time.
50 of North America’s best bars were honored in Mexico last week during a beverage-industry ceremony presented by William Reed Ltd., a U.K.-based multimedia firm specializing in the food and drink sector. Ranked by the firm’s 50 Best brand, this year’s list of the “50 Best Bars” in North America includes speakeasies, pubs and cozy cocktail lounges across the continent — but the U.S. is especially well-represented.
Coming in at No. 1 is NYC’s Double Chicken Please, a relatively new cocktail bar serving its take of classic low-ABV cocktails in a front room, and more experimental cocktails “designed to represent a drinkable meal” in the back room, according to 50 Best.
“The Back Room at Double Chicken Please offers inventive craft cocktails that deconstruct, redefine and rebuild iconic dishes into liquid form such as the Japanese Cold Noodle, Cold Pizza, Key Lime Pie, NY Beet Salad, Mango Sticky Rice and others,” reads an excerpt from the bar’s website.
There’s also chicken sandwiches available on the bar’s food menu, of course.
In addition to Double Chicken Please, dozens of U.S. bars were honored in the 2023 rankings, including 11 others in NYC alone, two in Chicago, two in Los Angeles, two in Miami, two in New Orleans, two in D.C., and one each in Denver, Honolulu, Las Vegas, Phoenix, San Diego, San Francisco, and San Juan, Puerto Rico.
The complete list of “North America’s 50 Best Bars,” according to 50 Best, is below:
- Double Chicken Please – New York City
- Handshake Speakeasy – Mexico City
- Katana Kitten – New York City
- Licorería Limantour – Mexico City
- Jewel of the South – New Orleans
- Dante – New York City
- Overstory – New York City
- Kumiko – Chicago
- Café La Trova – Miami
- Thunderbolt – Los Angeles
- Zapote Bar – Playa del Carmen
- Civil Liberties – Toronto
- Attaboy – New York City
- Employees Only – New York City
- Bar Pompette – Toronto
- Baltra Bar – Mexico City
- Rayo – Mexico City
- Mace – New York CIty
- Botanist Bar – Vancouver
- Hanky Panky – Mexico City
- El Gallo Altanero – Guadalajara
- Sabina Sabe – Oaxaca
- Arca – Tulum
- La Factoría – San Juan
- Café de Nadie – Mexico City
- Kaito del Valle – Mexico City
- Herbs & Rye – Las Vegas
- Pacific Cocktail Haven – San Francisco
- Martiny’s – New York City
- Death & Co – Los Angeles
- Selva – Oaxaca
- Atwater Cocktail Club – Montreal
- Service Bar – Washington D.C.
- Sweet Liberty – Miami
- Cloakroom – Montreal
- Cure – New Orleans
- Mother – Toronto
- Milk Room – Chicago
- Maison Premiere – New York City
- Aruba Day Drink – Tijuana
- Bar Leather Apron – Honolulu
- Yacht Club – Denver
- Bar Mordercai – Toronto
- The Dead Rabbit – New York City
- Allegory – Washington D.C.
- Clover Club – New York City
- Brujas – Mexico City
- Platform 18 – Phoenix
- Youngblood – San Diego
- Milady’s – New York City
The 2023 honorees were chosen by a voting body of “more than 260 experts,” including bartenders, bar owners and media representatives, according to 50 Best.