LAWRENCEBURG, Tenn. (WKRN) - The mother of a child reportedly sexually abused by a man in Lawrenceburg has also been charged in connection with the assault.
The Lawrence County Sheriff reported Danielle Bowen, 22, was charged with felony child neglect and failure to seek medical attention.
Bowen’s son was reportedly raped by Simon Porter, 33, who was taken into custody Sunday in Alabama.
Before his arrest, Porter was added to the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation's "Most Wanted" list.
“This case rips my heart out,” Lt. Blake Grooms with Lawrenceburg police said. “I can't even express it. I'm not even a parent, but when someone tells me that a 16-month-old child has been maliciously and intentionally hurt, words cannot describe it."
Officers reportedly became aware of the assault after they were notified of the boy’s severe injuries by doctors at Vanderbilt University Medical Center Tuesday afternoon.
According to Grooms, Porter implicated himself in the crime involving the young boy during a police interview.
“The little boy was hurt pretty bad,” Lt. Grooms said. “To the point of permanent damage for the rest of his life.”
This is a developing story. Stay with News 2 and refresh this page for updates.
- Knoxville mother pushes for harsher DUI sentencing after son dies in 2017 hit-and-run
- 1 injured after RV crashes into power pole in Sevier County
- UT coach Rick Barnes goes on 'Thank You Tour' in Knoxville
- Former NFL, Tennessee Vol star Reggie Cobb dies at age 50
- Flooding: Cocke County residents see road closures due to high water, find alternate routes
- Nonprofit steps up to help families affected by wind damage at Knoxville apartment building
- Flooding: French Broad, Pigeon rivers in Newport above flood stage
- Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- The Latest: Social media services blocked in Sri Lanka
- Waikiki flood concerns spur push for Hawaii shore protection
- Giuliani: Trump camp did no wrong by taking Russian help
- Hidden camera found in women's bathroom aboard Navy ship
- President attends Easter service following slew of tweets
- FDA: Blood pressure medication recall expanded again for risk of cancer-causing ingredient
- Accuracy at core of Supreme Court case over census question