CAMDEN, Ark. (KARK) - A family-owned Christian grocery store with several locations in Southeast Arkansas is dealing with backlash as customers argue a weekly ad mailer included a controversial political message.
The ad book was sent to four Mac’s Cashsaver stores in Arkansas. According to the store, the mailer typically includes a religious or political message. The current mailer includes a message that references the U.S./Mexico border wall controversy. It reads, ‘Heaven has a wall, a gate and a strict immigration policy. Hell has open borders. Let that sink in.’
Those words aren’t sitting well with some customers.
“It just doesn’t make any sense," said Tyler Reede, who say the mailer while shopping at one of Camden stores. “Why would they put that on there?"
Other customers appreciated the message.
"I didn’t have a problem with it,” said Logan Reede. “If they want to come here, they can come here legally.”
Employees at the store off Washington Street say they’ve been approached by dozens of customers and received even more phone calls.
“They’re just making a political spin out of it and getting the wrong idea of what it really means," explained Manager Jack Digby.
Digby says the store owner is responsible for the message. He claims this was intended to have a Christian meaning, nothing political.
"I am for the company and I am for God. There’s nothing wrong with what that statement says," Digby said.
The ad mailer was also sent to several locations in Louisiana.
The company says it stands by the messages and plans to keep including them in the weekly mailers.
- Knoxville man arrested for public intoxication, driving E-Scooter in wrong direction
- Man charged in crash that killed 15-year-old Knoxville girl
- KPD: Both the vehicle and the girl have been found safe
- Boy Scouts honor veterans ahead of Memorial Day
- Holiday weekend draws tourists to Sevier County
- New playground for all kids at Cedar Bluff Preschool
- Driving safe with the big rigs Memorial Day weekend
- Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Rent spikes, gig jobs among bills facing legislative action
- World War II vet, 95, graduates more than 70 years after leaving high school
- On North Korea, Trump seems to undermine a senior adviser
- Weathered Winchester rifle found in Nevada park has new home
- Impeach Trump? Most 2020 Democrats tiptoe past the question
- The Latest: Sumo fans appreciate Trump's attendance at match
- At least 8 people shot at 'large party' in Virginia