PINELLAS PARK, Fla. – A Florida police officer is getting praise for darting into a busy interstate to rescue a dog that had just been hit by a car.
Pinellas Park police Officer Joseph Puglia told a Tampa TV station his heart “really sank until I started seeing him breathing.”
The dog wandered onto Interstate 275 near Tampa last Thursday.
Video from Puglia’s dashcam showed him stop and get out within seconds of the dog getting hit.
Puglia says he wrapped the dog in an emergency blanket, put him in his SUV and called dispatch.
The dog survived with minor cuts and bruises.
Puglia says they nicknamed the dog, who ended up in the county’s animal shelter, Lucky. If no one claims Lucky, he says family members are ready to take him.
- Jeremy Pruitt press conference following win over South Carolina
- Coronavirus in Tennessee: Knox County reports 2 new deaths, 111 new cases
- Amazon Prime Day: 7 deals to watch for in 2020
- ‘It’s discouraging’: Porn, racial slurs posted during North Carolina church service on Zoom
- Stolen car crashes into jewelry store on Chicago’s Magnificent Mile