A Corpus Christi, Texas man was bitten by a rattlesnake after he already beheaded the snake.

Jennifer Sutcliffe and her husband were doing weekend yard work when she spotted a 4-foot rattlesnake. Sutcliffe says her husband quickly took his shovel and cut off the snake’s head. Moments later, he bent down to dispose of the snake and that’s when the head bit him.

Sutcliffe called 911 and began driving her husband towards the hospital. But. he started having seizures, lost his visions and began bleeding internally. She couldn’t get to the hospital quickly enough, so she met up with an ambulance. 

She said the first 24 hours were the worst. Doctors told her her husband might not make it, even after giving him huge amounts of anti-venom.

“A normal person who is going to get bit is going to get two to four doses of anti-venom, he had to have 26 doses,” Sutcliffe said.

He is now in stable condition, but his kidney function is still poor. Dr. Michael Halpert, a trauma surgeon at Christus Spohn Shoreline Hospital, said although dying from a snakebite is rare, it happens.

“There is about 6,000 to 8,000 snakes bites per year in the country and 10 or 12 people die,” said Halpert.

Halpert said in the event you get bitten by a snake, you should keep calm, keep the bitten area above heart level and get to the nearest emergency room.