LAGOS, Nigeria (AP) — The governor of Nigeria’s Kaduna state has signed a law saying men convicted of rape will face surgical castration, and anyone raping a child under age 14 will face the death penalty.
Gov. Nasir Ahmad el-Rufai says the “drastic penalties are required to help further protect children from a serious crime.”
Reported cases of rape in Nigeria have risen dramatically during the months of coronavirus restrictions, and women’s groups have called for tougher measures, including the death penalty.
Kaduna’s new measures are the strictest in Nigeria, Africa’s most populous country.
- Protesters gather to oppose Knox County mandates
- Woman killed in Greeneville apartment fire, according to police
- Early voting continues Monday, new voting center opens on UT’s campus
- Steelers dominate early, hold off Titans for 27-24 win
- Trump’s support hits six month high in key battleground states