According to the City of Kannapolis, Sgt. Dot Cole is the oldest living Marine.
She joined the Marine Corps during World War II in 1943.
Sgt. Cole completed her training at Camp Lejeune and was then stationed at Quantico. City officials say she primarily served in an administrative role.
Last month, another North Carolina woman celebrated a monumental birthday. Hester Ford turned 116, making her the oldest living person in the United States.
GET THE LATEST HEADLINES FROM FOX8.COM:
- Second stimulus checks: Here’s where we stand as a new week begins
- Knox County Health Dept. reports 16th COVID-19 death in October, overall toll at 101
- As US hits highest 7-day average for virus cases, these states are hardest hit
- Aunt mourns 14-year-old boy with Asperger’s beaten to death in Middle Tennessee home
- Newsfeed Now: Presidential campaigns’ final week