KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (WATE) – A record broken at Second Harvest Food Bank Wednesday as more than $832,000 were raised during their annual “Double Your Donation Day.”
The final total for donations came to $832,544. It was the ninth year for Second Harvest’s Double Your Donation Day.
Second Harvest serves 18 East Tennessee counties. For every $1 dollar donated, they’re able to buy 3 meals. Second Harvest saying no matter how big or small the donation, it leaves a lasting impact.
“We’re taking care of the seniors in our 18 county service area, the children in our 18 county service area,” Second Harvest’s Elaine Streno said. “We have two new feeding programs this year that the generosity of this community has helped fund. We run the gambit, we’re partners with KARM so we’re helping them feed the homeless.”
The fundraiser far surpassed Second Harvest’s goal to raise enough money to provide 1.5 million meals.
- DRONE VIDEO: High waters at Fish River after Hurricane Sally
- VIDEO: Astounding view of Orange Beach devastation from drone after Sally
- Hurricane Teddy strengthens to Category 4 storm; Tropical Depression 22 forms in Gulf of Mexico
- UT Law Enforcement Innovation Center to launch training program for rural law enforcement agencies
- South Doyle eSports club goes through extra hoops to participate in tournaments amid COVID-19