HAMPTON, N.H. (KDVR) — Planet Fitness, Inc. announced Monday that masks will be required at all locations beginning Aug. 1.
Currently, all Planet Fitness employees are required to wear masks. To date, the company has approximately 1,450 locations open across 46 states, the District of Columbia, Canada and Australia.
“As we continue to face the COVID-19 pandemic, amid an ongoing global health crisis, wellness has never been as essential to our collective community as it is today. Gyms are part of the solution and a key element of the health care delivery system, providing much-needed access for people to exercise and stay healthy.
Given our leadership position within the industry, we believe it’s our responsibility to further protect our members, employees, and communities so that we can all safely focus on our health, which is more important now than ever before.”Chris Rondeau, Planet Fitness CEO
Planet Fitness has already taken several additional steps to strengthen its existing cleanliness policies and procedures to help keep members, guests and employees safe.
- Enhanced cleanliness and sanitization policies and procedures
- Extensive training for employees
- Physical distancing measures in its spacious and well ventilated stores
- Reducing physical touch points with touchless check-in.
- Earlier this month, Planet Fitness also launched a Crowd Meter feature on its free mobile app to allow members to check club capacity before coming into the gym.
“I believe that as people return to their daily activities, they need to be able to safely access gyms and fitness centers with confidence, and reestablish their norms and routines,” said Dr. Ian Norton, founder of Respond Global and former head of Emergency Medical Team response with the World Health Organization. “While COVID-19 is a serious public health issue, so too is the epidemic of obesity and chronic disease killing 1.7 million Americans every year.
“Fitness contributes to lowering rates of noncommunicable disease related to sedentary lifestyles and obesity, and improves mental health, physical health and overall well-being.”
In addition to reopening stores across the country, Planet Fitness also offers free live “Home Work-Ins” which are part of Planet Fitness’ “United We Move” campaign, designed to motivate and inspire everyone to stay physically and mentally fit, according to a release sent out Monday.
- California counties expand COVID-19 vaccinations for farm, field workers
- Texas grid operator CEO will be terminated after mass blackouts during winter storm
- Zero-carbon by 2050? New Energy Secretary’s clean energy goal worries oil and gas industry advocates
- What were those mysterious lights over Las Vegas?
- House passes sweeping voting rights bill over GOP opposition