UPDATE: (4:40 P.M. 2/20): Pensacola Police have identified the man who climbed the radio tower on Monday night as Richard Heighton. Heighton was wanted on a warrant for failure to register as a sexual offender and trespassing.
UPDATE (10:45 p.m.) — Pensacola Police say the man is safely on the ground and in police custody.
UPDATE (8:38 p.m.) — Pensacola Police are still trying to rescue the man from the radio tower. He has climbed up and down multiple times in the past two hours, but he remains
UPDATE (6:11 p.m.) — ADX Communications leases space for antenna on the Jordan Street tower. It is owned by Divine Word Radio. This doesn’t affect Cat Country 98.7, but it does affect signal on NewsRadio 92.3 and ESPN Pensacola. They’ve been asked to power down the tower temporarily.
UPDATE (5:28 p.m.) — Police now work to rescue the man from the radio tower.
PENSACOLA, Fla. (WKRG) – Police say a registered sex offender who ran off from officers has scaled a tower in Pensacola.
It’s happening on Palafox and Jordan. Images from the scene show the man about halfway up a large tower.
The incident is causing traffic troubles in the area as well and police are asking people to avoid the area.
- $50,000 Powerball ticket sold in Oliver Springs
- Analysts say ‘bankruptcy likely’ for AMC Theaters
- Knoxville hotel distributing hundreds of food bags to laid-off hospitality workers
- Knoxville police say some crime rates down amid the pandemic
- Special ‘Tiger King’ episode hosted by Joel McHale will air Easter Sunday