NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) — Daniel Rios scored his first MLS goal on a diving header and Nashville SC beat D.C. United 1-0 on Wednesday night in the league’s first game with a female center referee in more than 20 years.
Tori Penso directed the match as center. The last woman to it was Sandy Hunt on May 13, 2000.
Dave Romney headed a corner kick to Rios for the winner in the 70th minute. DC United played the second half of the match with 10 players after midfielder Russell Canouse was sent off for a second yellow card just before halftime.
Last month, Kathryn Nesbitt became the first woman to work an MLS title game when served as an assistant referee for the MLS Is Back Tournament Final between Orlando City SC and Portland Timbers.
- Hardin Valley, Morristown West football game canceled due to COVID-19 concerns
- World champion, former Tennessee Vol sprinter Coleman banned 2 yrs; to miss Tokyo Olympics
- ESPN’s College GameDay to broadcast live from Augusta National Golf Club, showcasing fall Masters Tournament
- Stanley Cup visits children’s cancer center in Tampa
- Keyen Green looks to bring energy and intensity to Lady Vols