SUNSET, S.C. (AP) — A 15-year-old South Carolina boy drowned trying to save his younger brother in what officials say is the state’s deadliest body of water.
News outlets report Sahiyd Thomas died Friday after attempting to save his 12-year-old brother in Lake Keowee, near Keowee Toxaway State Park.
Pickens County Deputy Coroner Gary Duncan says Thomas noticed his brother struggling in the lake and pushed him back to shore. He says Thomas went backward and under the water.
Duncan says Thomas was on a camping trip with a church. His younger brother’s condition wasn’t immediately released.
A GoFundMe has been set up for Thomas’ memorial service and funeral arrangements. As of Monday morning, $1,985 had been raised out of the $8,000 goal.
- Dispatch: Rockslide in Campbell County impacting traffic on Highway 90
- Golfer drowns in pond while searching for his ball at Florida country club
- Here’s what’s coming to Netflix in March
- KFD: 1 person hospitalized due to smoke inhalation from fire, pulled from home by nearby nurse
- Knoxville family celebrates ‘Rare Disease Day’ and new FDA-approved treatment