LAS VEGAS (KLAS) — Scientists in Hungary have created a Frankenfish by mistake. The accident led to the creation of new species: A mix of Russian sturgeon and American paddlefish.
Russian sturgeon fish are the source of some of the finest caviar in the world, so the scientists were trying to get the endangered sturgeon to reproduce asexually.
They wanted to use paddlefish sperm in the process, but without transferring its DNA to the sturgeon. However, the paddlefish’s DNA still went through, and the new species of fish was born.
Its name hasn’t been chosen, but one nickname that came up so far is “Struddlefish.”
The research has been published in the journal “Genes.”
- Karns community mourns the death of beloved barber Clark ‘Sparky’ Walker
- THP: Three injured in collision with tower that resulted in widespread outages in Oak Ridge
- ‘Just want to say thank you’: First lady Jill Biden delivers cookies to National Guard troops
- A year after Wuhan lockdown, a world still deep in crisis
- Hotel housekeeper took women’s panties from guests, left note with phone number, police say