NASHVILLE, Tenn. (WKRN) – A bill dubbed the “Spencer Bristol Act” has been passed on to the Tennessee Senate Judiciary Committee.
The Senate bill, sponsored by Senator Ferrell Haile, would increase the penalty for evading arrest that results in the serious bodily harm of a law enforcement officer.
The bill would make the crime a Class C Felony if the officer is injured and a Class A Felony if the officer dies.
Hendersonville Master Patrol Officer, Spencer Bristol was struck and killed by a car while pursuing a suspect on foot on I-65 December 30, 2019.
- Sheriff Spangler: ‘Our family is hurting’
- Hamblen County memorial honors those who have lost their lives to COVID-19
- A look at Dolly Parton’s gifts to others on her 75th birthday
- Saving Tennessee’s future: Gov. Lee addresses lawmakers in special session on education
- Knoxville man gets help getting mail