KNOXVILLE (WATE) – Health inspectors found quite a few food violations at two popular restaurants.
Violations include several of the “risk factors” that could cause food borne illnesses. Those include food temperatures, employee hygiene, food being protected from potential contamination and customers not being able to properly clean their hands.
Don Gallo, 980 E. Emory Road – Grade: 78
Don Gallo received passing health inspection score, but had several critical violations. To begin with, when the inspector checked she found the hot water wasn’t working at customer hand sinks and soap was not available at the restrooms.
When she went into the kitchen, the inspector watched a kitchen worker eating and then forgetting to wash his hands as he returned to prepare food. Employees can eat in the kitchen, but hand washing is imperative after nibbling on food.
Finally, the inspector writes cutting boards, on which food is prepared, were dirty. Wiping clothes, used to clean tables were also not being kept in sanitizer bucket which is important if tables are to be cleaned properly.Ruby Tuesday, 4834 Broadway – Grade: 82
While an 82 is passing, again there were critical violations. Food temperatures were a problem in one of the coolers. Cooked chicken was at 51 degrees, sausage at 64 degrees. But 41 and below is the proper cool temperature to slow down the growth of bacteria.
The inspector reports there was spoiled food. Moldy oranges were found in the walk-in cooler. They were thrown away before they could be accidentally served to customers.
Here too, a dirty cutting board was found. This time the cutting board was on the food preparation line.
Ruby Tuesday will be re-inspected soon.Web extra: This week’s inspection reports [PDF]
Quite a few restaurants received perfect and near perfect inspection grades. Those high grades reflect management and staff playing close attention to health rules and making sure your food is wholesome.Top Scores of the Week:
- Tomato Head, 12 Market Square – Grade: 100
- Skybox, 415 S. Gay Street – Grade: 100
- Chick-fil-a, 7565 Mountain Grove Drive – Grade: 100
- Club XYZ, 1215 N. Central – Grade: 100
- TK Cafe 10415 Parkside Drive – Grade: 100
- Salsarita’s Cantina, 100 Moss Grove Boulevard – Grade: 100
- Newk’s, 9261 Kingston Pike – Grade: 100
- Olive Garden, 10923 Parkside Drive – Grade: 99
- Shoney’s, 4020 Rutledge Pike – Grade: 99
- Golden Wok, 7116 Strawberry Plains – Grade: 98
- Cheesecake Factory, 201 Morrell Road – Grade: 98
- Sonic, 5003 Millertown Pike – Grade: 97