KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (WATE) – The race in the State House District 15 Democratic primary is too close to call Tuesday morning.
The unofficial totals show 23 votes separate Sam McKenzie and Matthew Park with 89 of 89 precincts reporting. McKenzie told reporters Monday that this race would go to provisional votes. Park tweeted that hundreds of provisional ballots are yet to be counted.
It’s a surprising upset for incumbent Rick Staples, who came in third with 21 percent.
On Election Day, we asked Staples what he would do if he lost.
“I will continue to do what I did before I was elected. This office is not about me. It’s about resources for the community,” he said.
Staples posted a concession speech on social media Friday morning.
They will wait until all of the votes are counted on Tuesday. We’ll of course let you know when a winner is declared.
- WATCH: Friday Frenzy Week 6 game highlights
- Vol fans gear up for football season; share excitement about first game
- Mom fights off masked attacker who grabbed her, toddler outside California home
- VIDEO: Confirmed tornado touches down in Myrtle Beach
- Bars, restaurants prep for first Vol football game since COVID-19