MARYVILLE (WATE) – The Tennessee Bureau of Investigation is probing the circumstances surrounding a fatal officer-involved shooting that happened Saturday afternoon in Maryville.
Matthew Daniel Johnston was pronounced dead on the scene, according to the TBI.
TBI says that Maryville Police officers responded to reports of a man with a gun in the middle of Old Niles Ferry Road.
After officers arrived on the scene, the situation escalated and shots were fired. Johnston was struck at least once.
The investigation remains ongoing.
This is a developing story, stay with WATE 6 On Your Side for more info as it becomes available.
- Knox County parents weigh in on how they think ESSER funding should be spent
- Tennessee saw a 36% increase in tornadoes last decade, but that’s not the whole story
- More than 40 neglected dogs rescued in Jackson, TN animal cruelty case
- FLOTUS to visit Nashville to encourage vaccinations as TN rates remain low amid Delta variant threat
- Wood you look at that! Lumber prices drop in Tennessee