KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (WATE) — The University of Tennessee reported 10 new active cases of COVID-19 on Thursday, according to the latest data released by the university.
According to the University of Tennessee-Knoxville COVID-19 dashboard, there are 672 active cases at the university as of Thursday. Of the 672 cases, 661 are students. The university reported just 10 new active cases since Wednesday, a 1.51% rise in total active cases.
Total self-isolations grew 2.77% from 2,023 to 2,079. There are 1,018 nonresidential students and 985 residential students currently in isolation, nonresidential isolations decreased by 1.17% while residential isolations increased by 6.7%. There are 76 university employees in isolation.
UT reported 82 new active cases from Sunday to Thursday, more than 100 fewer new active cases than same period of the previous week when 189 new active cases were reported.
As of Thursday, 426 students and employees have recovered from COVID-19.
School officials said Thursday they have identified a COVID-19 cluster in the West Wing second floor of White Hall. The cluster occurred on Friday, Sept. 4.
On Wednesday, residents in Massey Hall were told they would be moved out to create more self-isolation space for COVID-19 positive and close contact students living on campus.
Students in Massey have until Friday, Sept. 11, to decide if they want to stay on campus or cancel their housing contracts outright. If a decision is not made by then, the university will select a room on the student’s behalf beginning Saturday.
“It’s inconvenient, it’s hard. It’s not fun. It’s what not what college is usually about, ” Chancellor Donde Plowman said in a Friday update. “But if we do these things together, if we remember, we’re Volunteers. Volunteers have always had to deal with hard situations and every time they’ve stepped forward, willingly in service and in leadership. What Volunteers need to step forward with now is reducing the close contacts at least for these next two weeks to help us get these numbers down.”
- Coronavirus Timeline: Total COVID-19 cases near 175K, deaths now stand at 2,097 in the state
- CHART: Tennessee Department of Health’s count of coronavirus cases by day in state
- Greene County mayor extends mask mandate through September 30
- Video and pictures of packed house party near KU campus spark concern as virus cases rise
- Tennessee Coronavirus: Two weeks into September, state has seen a 12.48% increase in COVID-19 cases and a 19.56% increase in deaths
- Coronavirus in Tennessee: Knox County reports smallest 1-day increase in new cases so far in September
- Oxford and AstraZeneca resume coronavirus vaccine trial
- Tennessee Coronavirus: Total COVID-19 cases reach 171,824 with 933 new cases reported Sunday
- Coronavirus in Tennessee: Inactive cases rise by 204 as Knox County reports 121 new cases & no new deaths
- As Trump played down virus, health experts’ alarm grew
- Dakotas lead US in virus growth as both reject mask rules
- Tennessee Coronavirus: COVID-19 deaths hit 2,064 with 39 new ones reported Saturday
- Coronavirus in Tennessee: Inactive cases rise by 229 as Knox County reports 189 new cases & 3 new deaths
- As restaurants, bars re-open amid coronavirus, CDC study urges caution
- Ohio college students test positive for coronavirus, throw party