BRISTOL, Tenn. (WJHL) — Officials with Tennessee High School announced the drowning death of a student-athlete over the weekend.
Rebecca House with Bristol, Tennessee City Schools told News Channel 11 that Vikings football player Micah Montgomery passed away after drowning at South Holston Lake Sunday evening.
A press release from the Sullivan County Sheriff’s Office said first responders were first called to the scene at 4 p.m. and later recovered a body.
- Police: 1 person injured in East Knoxville shooting
- Computer chip shortage impacting East Tennessee car dealerships
- Knoxville Wholesale Furniture donates $10,000 to Operation Honor Guard
- Monoclonal antibody treatments harder to find in Tennessee, here’s why
- Gov. Lee speaks on possible special session to ban mask, vaccine mandates
Tennessee High Principal Kim Kirk said late Sunday night that the Viking community is mourning the loss of another student.
Vikings head football coach Matt Chandler released the following statement to News Channel 11:
I would like to say that we as a coaching staff and our players are in total shock right now. Micah was a beloved member of our team. We will stand together as a team and try to be there for his family. Our thoughts and prayers are with them as well.Head football coach Matt Chandler
News Channel 11 has reached out to additional school officials for more information. Stay updated on-air and online at WJHL.com.