NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) — A Tennessee high school teacher and Tennessee State University alumna has won a $50,000 award from Amazon.
First-year teacher Shasta Charlton is a 2020 Amazon Future Engineer Teacher of the Year Award recipient. She is a computer science teacher and Robotics Club staffer at Whites Creek Comprehensive High School in Nashville.
Tennessee State said in news release that Charlton didn’t know much about robots, but she and her students still managed to build and code one to win the award. The award includes $25,000 for the school and $25,000 in school supplies.
Charlton says although she doesn’t have a computer science degree, she used YouTube videos and books to work it out.
- 10-foot python found under hood of Mustang in South Florida
- On Your Side: Breaking down the ‘You’re In Trouble’ scam
- Daylight saving time debate lingers in Congress
- Gov. Lee, Sen. Alexander celebrate park funding from Great American Outdoors Act
- Date announced for 2020 Music City Bowl at Nissan Stadium