Tennessee man dies after being infected with flesh-eating bacteria in Destin

News

MEMPHIS, Tenn. (AP) — A Tennessee man died this week after being infected with a flesh-eating bacteria during a trip to the beach.

According to news reports, the man became ill shortly after returning from vacation in Destin Beach, Florida where he was visiting family for the 4th of July.

Flesh Eating Bacteria sounds like an urban legend. Let me assure you that it is not. It took my Dad’s life. This is so…

Posted by Cheryl Bennett Wiygul on Wednesday, July 10, 2019

Cheryl Wiygul, the man’s daughter, says the family discovered that a large sore had developed on her dad’s back once they had returned home, as well as red bumps on his arms and legs. The man died on July 7, just 48 hours after his last swim in Florida.

Wiygul added that while her dad didn’t have any open cuts or wounds, he did have a compromised immune system due to cancer treatments and that may have put him at greater risk.

There will forever be a missing piece of our family but thank God for giving him to us, for this last week we all had…

Posted by Cheryl Bennett Wiygul on Sunday, July 7, 2019

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories

WATE 6 On Your Side Twitter